"100 Questions to Ask Before you Write Your Novel"
I believe that exercises like these are good for a writer to do.
Although book one of my trilogy is complete, I thought this would be a good tool to help me stay focused as I develop my world and characters within Candle Lake. Not only that, but what a great way to give my readers some in depth knowledge about my book.
For the next few days I am going to go through these questions.
1. Who is your main character? Hero (protagonist)? Anti-Hero (antagonist)?
Tanishia is the hero; “The Fog Face” is the anti-hero.
2. Why should we be interested in them?
Tanishia is a young lady who learns she has telepathic abilities. The Fog Face once was a powerful man in his time and desires to gain that power once more.
3. What attracts you to your protagonist? Do you like them? Loathe them?
Tanishia is a sheltered young woman who has a lot to learn in life and love. I do like her. She is both weak and strong. I look forward to guiding her in her womanhood.
4. Why do you need to write about them?
I feel the need to write about Tanishia because I want to explore what it would be like to have telepathic abilities. My story is different from the typical stories you read with telepathy. Tanishia’s abilities don’t work with everyone nor all of the time.
The Fog is an entity that was once a man a long time ago. He was a man of and in power. After centuries away from the world, he wants to return to his power. He is hungry for it and will do whatever it takes to regain it.
5. Why should we be excited about them?
Tanishia provides the curiosity of a young woman. She falls in love, has her heart broken and has to save people.
The Fog is mysterious and has a power that is unexpected and unexplained.
6. Why do you believe we will find your hero sympathetic? Empathetic?
Tanishia a deep connection with her family and a deep love for her friends. She loves easily.
7. What makes us curious about them? What is their “mystery”? What is their “magic”? Charisma? How do you show it?
Is Tanishia a typical young lady? Can she turn her telepathy into an ability that is useful? Can she control it? How convincing can she be? Through her relationships and her encounters you learn with Tanishia what she accomplish to save and protect those she loves. Read as she learns of her abilities and develops them.
In CANDLE LAKE, we learn of The Fog and it’s ability and strength in its realm. We learn, briefly, of its desires for power and ownership.
8. What does the audience find in the main character’s story that is relevant to them? Why do you believe they will identify with them?
The need to be special, to be important and make an impact. The desires to be surrounded by love. For some, it will be a memory of what it was like to be young and in love, often blind of other things in life. To learn one’s own strengths and how to utilize them for success.
9. What is the cherished secret desire of your main character?
To be the caretaker of her loved ones.
10. Do we laugh at your hero? Feel amused by them? Or do we admire them?
At times we laugh with Tanishia and her friends and family. Other times we cry. It is easy to admire Tanishia because of her determination to take care of those she loves.