With that in mind, I will stay true to my promise and I will complete the 100 questions, but some answers may be very vague.
I love this idea. I think that as a writer it is a good tool to keep you focused and really make you think about what you are about top write, are writing or have written. I think some questions can really make you think in terms of ensuring that what you are writing will stand out from the crowd.
Thank you again to The Script Lab for this tool.
So grab your tea and enjoy a closer look at Candle Lake.
- What do we hope for?
We hope that Tanishia is strong enough to protect those she loves and not lose herself in the process. We hope for true love.
- What are we afraid of?
We are afraid that Tanishia is weak. Afraid that she doesn’t know how to use her abilities. We are afraid that she will lose what is most important to her and that The Fog will get what he needs/wants.
- What is the worst thing that could (and hopefully will) happen to your hero?
The worst that could happen to Tanishia is for her to lose everyone she loves and to be left all alone.
- What is the most favorable, brightest moment that they will experience in the story?
The brightest moment is when Tanishia discovers the people she needs to help her accomplish an important task and they succeed.
- What are they going to lose if they don't find a way to overcome the adversities?
They will lose one another.
- Why can't your characters get what they crave?
Tanishia can’t have what she craves because she still does not understand the power of her abilities. She is young. The Fog can’t have what he most desires because he is no longer a man and the rules are different for him.
- How can you make the obstacles – inner or exterior – more insurmountable?
Tanishia could experience rejection thereby effecting her confidence and self esteem. The Fog can find a way to become more powerful in his realm therefore challenging Tanishia more in her abilities.
- How can you make the threat, the danger, more excruciating, agonizing, humiliating? Who can do that? Why should they?
To have other characters, influenced by The Fog without realizing it, manipulate Tanishia. For Tanishia to be given a timeline before someone else steps in and takes action against the desired outcome she is working towards.
- Why can't your characters live at peace with their conscience, respect themselves if they don't get what they so passionately want?
For Tanishia, her main goal in book 1 is to learn control of her abilities to use as needed. She needs to succeed at this or she will lose something of great importance and will live out the rest of her life blaming herself and depressed.
For The Fog, his main goal overall is to regain power and control. If he can’t then he must accept that he is not all powerful and will lose all respect he has for himself but so will his followers.
- And: what is it that your characters want (consciously and tangibly)?
I can’t share in this questionnaire what Tanishia so desperately wants without giving it all away, but basically, she wants to be with everyone she loves and to be safe and to have them safe.
The Fog wants to return to Earth as and reclaim the status he left behind. To regain control and power over his people.