A big thank you to my blogger friend, Jeremy Crow, who nominated my for the Liebster Award. I am truly honored!
My dream in life is to be a published author. Not only that, but to have people say, “Did you read the new book out by Rachel Rennie? It’s awesome. I can’t wait for the next one.” I doubt that I will ever be on the same realm of Stephen King, and because I write romance, chances are I would never even share a shelf with him. In seeking publication for my novel “Candle Lake” I was told I needed an author platform. I needed to build an audience. And the more I write, the better I feel. To know that I am sharing my stories and imagination with people all over the world is exciting and rewarding.
Is your blogging simply a hobby? What kind of dreams do you have for it?
Yes it is a hobby. One day, writing will be my full time career. And my blog will be where I showcase my work and sell my books.
What is your support system like and who are your biggest supporters?
My biggest supports are my husband and our children. Who supports me other than them? Strangers around the world! My friends on Google+.
What are 10 random facts about you? (Eeeek!)
1. Growing up in a small northern town I was completely out of place and my accent didn’t match. I had adapted everyone’s accent and made it my own!
2. I love to organize everything but for some reason find it difficult to organize my time!
3. The very first book I ever wrote was when I was in college. Sadly, the 3.5” floppy disk it was one got broken.
4. I have a poem published in Washington at the court house. I wrote it when I was 12. Being young, I never kept a copy of it.
5. My oldest son and I have been involved in Scouting for 5 years! I was a Scout Leader for 2.5 years then became the Group Commissioner. It saddened me to have to resign from this position after 2.5 years.
6. I hate bugs and camping but am more of a Scout mom then I am a dance mom! The first time I had to do my daughter’s stage make up I was so nervous.
7. I used to work as a Document Control Supervisor with an Engineering firm in the Oil & Gas Industry. I now work in Health Care as an admin assistant.
8. Since I was little, I always said I would have four babies.
9. In my mind’s eye I am an awesome dancer. It’s too bad my feet don’t follow along!
10. I love that my kids have adapted my love for books and will never punish them for wanting to read, “just one more page mommy” when we all know that it means another chapter!
What do you enjoy most about blogging?
To be able to share my stories with the world at no cost. Knowing that people are enjoying my writing. It is a sense of acceptance in a way. A sense of worth.
What do you do when you feel overwhelmed with too many tasks at once?
Panic. Write notes so I make sure I don’t forget anything. Then happily check off the items with a sense of accomplishment!
What would you do with a large sum of money given to you?
What would I NOT do?!!
What was one of the most moving books or movies you have ever seen?
I will never forget when I saw Passion of the Christ. I was so angry and sad. Reading the Bible is one thing, to see it brought to “life” puts it on a completely different level.
“Love you Forever” by Robert Munsch is the most moving book for me. My husband gave it to me for Mother’s Day, which is also our oldest son’s birthday. I read it to my son every night at bedtime for two years. Then I read it to both him and his younger sister every night for two years. And then to them and their younger sister every night for two years! And then…I had I memorized and just said it to all four of my children all of the time and still do! As the children got older though, we also needed to read the Harry Potter series as well as MANY other books!
Do you have a bucket list? Name 5 things on that.
1. To go on a cross Canada trip in a motorhome with my family.
2. To take a train ride through the mountains with my family.
3. To write full time and quit my day job.
4. To own a large house where our kids will return to with their babies.
5. To have a honeymoon
Where would you like to see yourself in the next couple of years?
2 years? Published!
5 years? Buying a home and helping our oldest into college/university (yikes)
What is your single best piece of advice for someone starting out in the blogging world?
Be honest and true to yourself. Put forth your best effort. It is a reflection of who you are.
1. Matt Banner – Want to know something about blogging? Look him up! And I love how he interacts with his readers.
2. Paul White – A writer who always posts something that I enjoy reading.
3. Luna Darcy – Always posting things I can relate to and makes me smile. Also, it’s all in the name “Organized Lunacy”.
Apologies to my other fellow bloggers who I hugely respect but I probably didn’t choose you as you’ve already been nominated. And to the nominees, please feel free to ignore this nomination, you may very well have been nominated before and I just don’t know about it – but I for one would be interested in putting you in the hot-seat!